||Little League Shoulder ICD-10
Little League Shoulder ICD-9
- 733.9 Other and unspecified disorders of bone and cartilage
Little League Shoulder
- stress fracture of the proximal humeral epiphyseal plate.
- Average age = 14yrs.
Little League Shoulder Clinical Evaluation
- classic history=adolescent pitcher who has increased his pitching level and now has poorly localized aching shoulder pain after attempts to throw.
- Tenderness over proximal humerus
- discomfort at the proximal humerus and weakness.
Little League Shouder Xray
- A/P, scapular-Y, axillary views of shoulder. Internal and external rotation A/P xrays for the both shoulders indicated. Little Leagure's shoulder is indicated by widening of the proximal humerus physis on the injured side.
- initial xrays normal
- Later xrays show physis widening, fragmentation, demineralization, periosteal stripping, callus.
Little League Shoulder Treatment
- Cessation of repetitive physeal stress. There is no long-term sequelae.
- Rest from throwing for at least 3 months with gradual return to throwing after shoulder is asymptomatic is indicated.
Little League Shoulder References
- Carson WG, Am J Sports Med 26:575;1998
- Cahill BR, AJSM 1974;2:150