synonyms:thumb MCP closed reduction, thumb metacarpophalangeal joint reduction, thumb mcp dislocation
Thumb MCP Reduction CPT
Thumb MCP Reduction Indications
- Simple dislocation of Thumb MCP joint
Thumb MCP Reduction Contraindications
- Complex dislocation prox phalanyx and metacarpal are parallel, volar plate is interposed, irreducible closed
Thumb MCP Reduction Alternatives
Thumb MCP Reduction Technique
- Closed reduction for dorsal dislocation: flex the wrist and the PIP joint to relax the flexor tendons. Apply pressure from dorsal to volar to the base of the proximal phalanx.
- Closed reduction for volar dislocation: Wrist and MCP joint is flexed, and gentle pressure applied to the volar surface of the proximal phalanx as it is brought into extension.
Thumb MCP Reduction Complications
- Loss of reduction
- Early degenerative arthritis
- Osteonecrosis of the metacarpal head
- Neurovascular injury
Thumb MCP Reduction Follow-up care
- Early ROM with a dorsal blocking splint preventing extension beyond neutral.
Thumb MCP Reduction Outcomes
- Generally good, small concerns for early degenerative arthritis, AVN of metacarpal head and stiffness.
Thumb MCP Reduction Review References
- Bohart PC, JBJS 56A:1459;1974
- Dinh P, JAAOS 2009:17;318-324