synonyms:TEA, total elbow replacement, total elbow arthroplasty, TER
- Elbow arthritis
- Distal humerus fracture in elderly, low demand patient. (Frankle MA, JOT 2003;17:473).
- Conservative care
- Elbow fusion
TEA Pre-op Planning / Special Considerations
- Pre-operative antibiotics, +/- regional block
- General endotracheal anesthesia
- position. All bony prominences well padded.
- Examination under anesthesia.
- Prep and drape in standard sterile fashion.
- Close in layers.
- loosening, poly wear
- poly wear can be managed by bushing exchange for pts with semiconstrained liked TEA. Poly wear is more common in young active pts who should be cautioned about recommended activity limitions and lifting restrictions. (Lee BP. JBJS 2005;87A;1080-87)
- Periprosthetic Infection
TEA Follow-up care
- Outcome Measures: Mayo Elbow Performance Index (Frankle MA, JOT 2003;17:473).
- 93% good/excellent outcomes, 22% revision rate for TEA in patients <40yrs old. Revision rate is higher for post-traumatic arthritis patients (Celli A, JBJS 2009;91A:1414).
TEA Review References